Search This Blog

Wednesday, 26 December 2012

The Joys of Facebook!


















Today I am going to talk about a successful if not the most successful social networking site!
That's right! Move aside Myspace, it's all about Facebook now!
Facebook is one of the most successful social networking sites that has become global. What with it being made accessible on tablets, computers, mobiles and other gadgets. It's no surprise that the world has gone crazy for social networking... But why?
Has anyone actually thought about why we post the things we do? It's not surprising in our days to see status' proclaiming how they've made their selves a cup of tea! How uninteresting! However, that's not the point... The point is that technology today allows you to do such things. So let's make the most of it!
Personally, I find it amazing how one can write a quick status, post it and within seconds it is  available for the world to see!

Indeed, Facebook is an extraordinary site with millions of users. This means it must have some use in today's society. So, what are the benefits of Facebook?
Facebook allows you to add friends and keep track of what they're up to and how their life is going. What with Facebook being free to users, it allows families to keep in touch over seas. Each person's profile is their own and they can personalise it with their favourite pictures and write what ever status they want! (within reason of course!)
Indeed, Facebook also offers many fun applications and games such as Farmville (very addictive!).
It comes as no surprise therefore that many of us are addicted to Facebook!
I'm ashamed to admit that the first thing I do when I wake up is check Facebook on my phone... What has the world come to?! That we cannot cope without seeing what everyone else is up to.
As you can see, Facebook has its many uses and it has become a big part of our everyday lives. 
However, there are of course many disadvantages of using social networking sites.

In today's society, many people are getting into trouble from social networking sites. As previously mentioned, it only takes seconds for a post to become viral and go world wide. Facebook and other social networking sites have caught out many people who have been taken up in the moment- they post something perhaps racist and out of character. Indeed, over the Internet it is impossible to see the context of the post unless you was in that specific situation. Therefore it is imperative that you are always aware of how someone else could perceive your post!
Another danger of Facebook is cyber bullying... Anyone can send you an inbox on Facebook, therefore if you are vulnerable, it would perhaps be a wise decision not to have Facebook. Facebook has indirectly caused many suicides among young teenagers due to cyber bullying. Facebook is not regulated, therefore anyone could post something. Personally, I have a facebook account and I refuse to write a post unless I feel it necessary and I will not under any circumstances put a profile picture up of myself. I personally don't feel safe using Facebook. Indeed, it is not unsurprising to hear on the  news that someone has been stalked using Facebook. It doesn't help the matters that Facebook publishes the location of where you are when you sent the post! Talk about helping stalkers out! Why should it matter where you were when you sent it?

Looking at both sides of the argument, I believe Facebook if used correctly is a fantastic social networking site. Although, I wish they wouldn't post the location of your status!

No comments:

Post a Comment