Search This Blog

Wednesday, 16 January 2013

Multiple Intelligence? Yes Please!

Today in ICT, we touched upon Howard Gardner's theory of Multiple Intelligence and how it can be used as an effective tool within education and how technology could be incorporated into the learning process.
So, what has Howard Gardner's theory taught me?

For one, it is very important that you don't get carried away with the concept- it was and still remains a theory! Therefore, we should not place too much emphasis on the concept.

Having said that, this theory allows pupils to feel good about their abilities- they are smart, just in a different way E.g. they may posses a musical intelligence and their linguistic intelligence may not be as developed.
One major advantage of this theory is that if used correctly, it could theoretically enhance the learners experience i.e. using your dominant intelligence will promote self esteem and motivation, these are essential 'ingredients' for learning!

So, you may be wondering where I'm going with this post.... ( and to a certain extend, so am I!)
The point I am trying to make is that this theory has had a profound effect on education,
whether it has improved education or hindered progress remains to be unseen,
but I believe to a certain extent that it has promoted self esteem, motivation and autonomy.
Therefore, I feel that the negatives far outweigh the positives in this given context.

No comments:

Post a Comment